Tuesday, April 6, 2010

A "YAY!" and a "Question?"

As most of Aaron's loyal facebook friends know-- Aaron got a job today! He starts working full time tomorrow. He is going to be helping a company with market research, right here in Provo. The job market is tough right now, and we are very thankful that Aaron found something so close by-- and something that won't interfere with his beloved band practice/shows on nights/weekends. SO, that is the "YAY!"



-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The "Question?" that has been on Jo's mind for the past week or so is: Is it rude to ask someone if I can borrow/rent/buy their used wedding dress?

Let me explain... I honestly do feel like we should all do our part to reduce, reuse, and recycle. I admit that I am no where close to where I want to be in these three areas, but I figure-- if it's already been made, and it's just sitting there, shouldn't someone be using it? Of course there is always the added benefit of used things being a bit cheaper :) It's nice to have things of your own... but spending over a thousand dollars on a dress isn't exactly where I'd like to put my money. I much rather buy a flight to/from Hawaii. Wedding dresses in particular are somewhat a touchy subject, since they usually carry emotional ties for brides. Maybe I'm overestimating their importance... what do you think? Some of my friends had some gorgeous gowns, but I don't want to be rude or put them in an awkward situation by trying to ask them if I can try it on!


And no worries-- I'm not looking at something like this one!

5 comments:

  1. Jo! Im glad you started a blog! It will be good to keep up with you. Yay for your fiance on getting a job! Thats great! About the dress, I would ask. Why not? I did that! Im glad you aren't looking at dresses like the one you posted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is so great. go aaron! about the dress. i have thought about this personally. there are a lot of sites where girls sell their used dresses, do you look at those? let me know if you haven't and i will give you some links. and also i think with asking people about dresses i think its fine as long as you kinda let them know no hard feelings if they aren't willing-some people are touchy! but some aren't so why not try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny you should ask about this...just a couple days ago a friend ask me if she could rent my wedding dress and I've not responded to her yet, because I can't figure out how I feel about it.

    It makes sense for it to get used, I suppose, instead of just sitting around in a closet. And getting a little money out of it is of course always a good thing. I suppose the biggest holdup for me is that she would have to hem it shorter and for some reason it makes me sad to not have my wedding dress intact. It doesn't make any logical sense why that would bother me so much, but it does...I don't know. I think if she fit into it without any alterations, I would do it in a heartbeat...the whole "someone else wearing your dress" part doesn't bother me, personally.

    Probably every woman has a different stance on this, though, so I agree with the comments above that it won't hurt to ask, but just tread lightly because it's a touchy subject for some.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for the advice girls! and sarah-- i dont have those websites.

    ReplyDelete
  5. k girl go to www.oncewed.com, and www.preownedweddingdresses.com, those are the two that i looked at a lot before i got married. i also have a friend who put her dress up for sale but i don't know if she has sold it yet or anything but here is the link so you can look at it! http://candkhardman.blogspot.com/2010/03/for-sale.html

    ReplyDelete