Saturday, March 19, 2011

More on the Cleanse.

I realized that there are a lot of things to talk about in regards to The Master Cleanse! Haha. And I wanted to let everyone know that there is a great book that anyone who is interested in actually doing the cleanse should read. It's called The Master Cleanser by Stanley Burroughs. You can find it at Whole Foods (or online). In the book it gives the following reasons as to why one should do the cleanse:

  1. To dissolve and eliminate toxins and congestion that have formed in any part of the body
  2. To cleanse the kidneys and the digestive system
  3. To purify the glands and cells throughout the entire body
  4. To eliminate all unusable waste and hardened material in the joints and muscles
  5. To relieve pressure and irritation in the nerves, arteries, and blood vessels
  6. To build a healthy blood stream
  7. To keep youth and elasticity regardless of our years
It says that people who do this three or four times a year does wonders, and keeps the body in normal and healthy conditions. Good-bye high blood pressure, ulcers, arthritis, obesity, etc.

Here is the actual recipe for anyone interested:
  • 2 Tbsp fresh squeezed organic lemon juice (lime juice can also be used)
  • 2 Tbsp genuine maple syrup grade B (not maple flavored sugar syrup)
  • 1/10 Tsp cayenne pepper (the liquid form isn't as hot as the powder. this can be adjusted for taste)
  • 10 oz cold or medium hot spring or purified water (I preferred it cold)
I forgot to mention a couple things in my last post. One of the huge personal reasons I decided to do the cleanse as well was due to the fact that neither Aaron or I have heath insurance through our jobs. Unlike Hawaii, Utah has no laws requiring employers to offer health insurance to full time workers. We both work for young companies who don't have/don't want to spend the money to offer us such a benefit. That whole situation is a different topic... but my point is, I want to do everything I can to make sure I am healthy.  It would be so expensive and stupid for me to be treated for something I have control over! (Now I just hope I don't get hurt! haha)

Also,  I forgot to mention that one of the weirdest side effects was having your tongue feel weird!! In the book I mentioned it explains that we eat a lot of mucus-forming foods. The excess mucus actually provides a breeding ground for germs! Anyway, when we only drink citrus and water it gets rid of most of the mucus we have, including the lining we have on our tongues- so the tongue feels really rough. You may also notice the color of your tongue to go kind of white, don't worry, it will go back to pink after you're done. 

Someone asked me, do you think it worked? And then I realized, I totally forgot to include that in my last post. I told her that I could tell it was working during the cleanse. At the beginning I would pee only a couple times a day, like I normally do. But as time passed I had to pee more and more often. I realized that my body was able to get the nutrients I needed from the mix more quickly, and get rid of what it didn't need more quickly as well. I could see that my digestive system was working better. Also, people on the cleanse will commonly see their skin clear up a little bit. And I have to say, I didn't break out with anything new on the cleanse. You will also feel alert. You will feel good. Which sounds crazy because it seems like you should feel horrible with out food... but you won't!

I also forgot to mention the real challenge of this cleanse. It is the smell, sight, and thought of food! If you do decide to do the cleanse, don't be afraid to simply smell food that you would like to eat to try and appease yourself. In and odd way it will satisfy you. Just temporarily tell yourself you're allergic to it and just can't have it (this works for me since I've been doing that my whole life when I've seen cats/dogs). Food will look good, and you know that it tastes good, but if you take a step back and think, am I really hungry right now? The answer will be NO! (And if it's yes, drink some of your mix and you'll be good)

An unforeseen benefit of the cleanse is all the free time you will have! This really surprised me. Think about all the time you take to think about what you're going to eat, shop for it, prepare it, eat it, and clean it all up. Now take all of that time out of your life! If you have a big project that you've been wanting to do but haven't found the time to do, here is your opportunity!

LASTLY, if you do the cleanse you must ease off of it. The book recommends drinking orange juice and having vegetable soup after your cleanse. Then go on to eat fruits and vegetables. Then introduce your starches, and lastly, meats. If you eat a hamburger after not having food for 10 days... you'll feel sick to say the least!

No comments:

Post a Comment