Friday, August 22, 2014

Sweet Summertime

July 2014 - Since my last post in mid-July we've taken our SUP board out a few more times. We went to Ala Moana and stuck my phone in the watershot housing and got some nice pics. We also took it to Waimea bay with the GoPro at Sunset, and one of Aaron's buddies was there too and snapped a couple pics, including me jumping off the rock. It's been very fun so far!
I also got more into make up and hair after following some beauty bloggers. I picked up an eyebrow pencil for the first time and I'm loving the results!
 

August 2014 - Aaron and I saw Jack Johnson preform at the Waikiki Shell. We sat on the lawn and it was very relaxing and a nice date night. It was my first time seeing him live. I don't remember exactly when I figured it out, but I didn't always know that he was from Hawaii. He still lives on the north shore, and I think it's fun to support local artists who've made it so big. We were lucky to get tickets at all because his concert sold out so quickly, he even added another show that sold out. I'm glad we went. 

The next weekend we escaped the hurricanes and went to Seattle! I hadn't spent time there before and was excited for the long weekend trip. We got a super good rate at the hotel by the airport (love airline perks). They had nice public transportation we used the first day. We ate some delicious local donuts for breakfast and then went to the tallest building in Seattle called the Columbia Center to check out the view. We got up close and personal with the Space Needle, found a cool magenta wall on the EMP (Experience Music Project) designed by Frank Gehry, and hung around the International Fountain at the Seattle Center.

Aaron's cousins live just outside of Seattle, so we took a ferry ride across the bay to see them. It was a nice ride. For some reason I didn't picture Seattle this way. It was sunny, blue, and gorgeous. It was nice seeing the cousins and their families. We had a delicious homemade street taco dinner at Aaron's cousin Kanoe's place and went out for frozen yogurt for dessert :)
The next day we went to Trader Joe's to pick up some essentials (milk chocolate peanut butter cups and petite cocoa baton cookies), and got Chipotle for lunch. Then I got all made up to go to, what? Only the TENTH ROW of the Bruno Mars concert at The Gorge! Haha. Free flights really come in handy when you want to see a touring musician ;) The venue was a couple hours from Seattle, and I'm amazed that they get artists to come all the way out there. It's in a canyon with the Columbia River behind it - very picturesque. The drive there was nice - evergreens as far as the eye could see. The pacific northwest offers a different kind of beauty, and I enjoyed it.
There was a little bit of traffic to get parked, and a little walk from the grass field we parked on to the entrance, but it was a nice night and I brought slippers (flip flops) and ended up not wearing my heels. So glad I brought them! We got to the venue around sunset. There we SO many people there and we got to get right up to the stage!!  It's a totally different experience being up close - you just look into the eyes of the performers, and don't pay as much attention to all the effects going on. When you're farther back, all you can see are the effects. It's like a completely different show.
Also... since we were flying in from Hawaii and Bruno and his brother Eric (the drummer) are also from Hawaii, I was planning on bringing them lei's to the concert as a little greeting/congratulations from home. I figured we'd be close enough to get them on stage. But since Aaron and I were rushing around like crazy and actually left a day earlier than originally planned to try and avoid the hurricanes, I didn't have time. So, when we were at Trader Joe's and I saw a bouquet of roses for only $5.99, I couldn't say no! During his last song (before the encore) I sweet talked 2 security guards to let me through to the front row. I held the flowers in my hand and waived them above my head, shouting, "Bruno!" Haha, such a fan girl moment. I'd never done that kind of thing before, but I just really like his voice and performances and the fact that writes all his own stuff and he overcame a ton of racism in the industry to get to where he is... and that he's from Hawaii of course. Anyway, he looked down at me and smiled extra big. I was thinking, wow, I made Bruno smile. HAHA! There was a security guard between me and Bruno so he took the flowers from me and Bruno grabbed it from him. It was fun.
Loved "Gorilla" as his last song in his encore
Aaron had his GoPro and I was taking clips with my phone (though I intentionally made it a point to only take clips, and not record entire songs, so I could enjoy it and really be in the moment). I put all the clips together and made a rough cut video that ended up being over 25 min long! Haha. I doubt anyone will watch the whole thing, but I uploaded it so it's there if ever I feel so inclined to watch it again :)

Aaron was a champ driving home after the show, we were both pretty tired. Luckily we found an IHOP along the way back and had a meal that really hit the spot.

A few days after we got home from Seattle, we celebrated our 4th wedding anniversary. Boy does time fly by when you're having fun. We kept our tradition and went to Ruth's Chris Steakhouse for dinner for the 4th year in a row. It's our hands down favorite steak. We went to the early bird special and got appetizers, sides, and dessert with our steak for a really good deal! Which also makes us happy. Aaron was sweet and got me roses, and I had fun looking at wedding photos and re-watching our wedding video.

Until next time.... ALOOOOOHA!

No comments:

Post a Comment